A Group of words that makes some sense is called a Sentence. It is completed by applying a sign at the end of the sentence For e.g.
- The earth moves round the sun. (a Sentence)
- Round the earth the rounds moves (Not a sentence)
Kinds of Sentences:-
Sentences are of mainly of four types:
- Declarative Sentences
- Interrogative Sentences
- Imperative Sentences
- Exclamatory Sentences
- Assertive or Declarative Sentence:
A sentence that states or declares something is called an Assertive or Declarative Sentence. For e.g.:-
- The sun rises in the east. (Affirmative)
- The sun does not move round the sun. (Negative)
- Interrogative Sentence:
A sentence that asks a question is called an Interrogative Sentence. For e.g.:-
- Does the sun rises in the east?
- Who does not love his country?
- Imperative Sentence:
A sentence that expresses a command, a request, an entreaty or a desire is called an Imperative Sentence. For e.g:-
- Open the Box. (Command)
- Lend me your pen, please. (Request)
- Help me, O God. (Entreaty)
- God save the Queen. (Wish)
- Exclamatory Sentence:
A Sentence that expresses some strong or sudden feeling is called an Exclamatory Sentence. For e.g. :-
- How hot it is!
- What a foolish boy you are!